To commemorate tonight’s 40th anniversary of the first episode of Saturday Night Live, Indie Revolver’s two biggest SNL fans, Adam Glass and Lizzy Ferro have banded together to pick their top 40 sketches from the past 40 Years.
Wow. 40 Years of SNL. It seems just like yesterday when the show was celebrating its 15th anniversary. That’s about the time I started to watch faithfully; and boy, was I hooked. After a while I couldn’t get enough and started looking for reruns of older seasons. Even the ones from the dark times (early 80’s). SNL has launched so many huge careers over the years from Robert Downey Jr. and Ben Stiller to Amy Polher and Kristen Wiig among a hundred plus others including Chevy Chase, Mike Myers, Dan Akroyd and Tina Fey. I could go on and on but we wanted to list our 40 favorite skits over the past 40 years. These are in no particular order. Enjoy and don’t forget to watch the SNL: 40 Years Special on NBC this Tonight at 8:00 PM Est on NBC.
Adam’s Top 20
- Stefan – Halloween Hotspots
- French Chef
- Mr. Robinson’s Neighborhood – Christmas
- Schwetty Balls
- Olympic Synchronized Swimmers
- Dick in a Box
- Lazy Sunday
- James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub
- Behind the Music – Blue Oyster Cult
- Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
- Celebrity Jeopardy –
- Debbie Downer –Happiest Place on Earth
- Merry Christmas – Frankenstein, Tarzan, Tonto
- Bass O’Matic
- Chippendales Tryouts
- Matt Foley – Motivational Speaker
- Word Association
- Buh Weet Sings
- The Kissing Family
Compiling this list was an impossible task. My love for Saturday Night Live runs deep – for all eras. Sure, some generations have been better than others, but no matter what, they always make us laugh.
I can’t say that this list would be the same tomorrow, hell it could be different in an hour – so many talented and funny people have been a part of this forty year institution, and as I was narrowing the list down, just as I would cross one sketch off, another would pop into my head.
So before my brain explodes, here are my top twenty SNL moments as of 2/15//2014 at 4:45 PM
IN ABSOLUTELY NO ORDER:
Lizzy’s Top 20
- Seth Meyers: The Palin Rap Was ‘Historic’ – A week before her due date, Amy Poehler rapping LIKE A BOSS. No further explanation needed. All hail Queen Poehler!
- Lincoln Returns: Louis C.K. Hosting ‘Saturday Night Live’ – Louie CK reenacting his (hysterical) show Louie, as Abraham Lincoln.
- Slumber Party – Our original SNL ladies – Gilda, Jane & Laraine plus the amazing Madeline Kahn discussing where babies come from.
- Kaitlin at the Mall – Rick! RICK! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK.
- Debbie Downer: Happiest Place on Earth? – I tried really hard to have a completely unique list from Adam’s, but I couldn’t leave this off. Sure, I could have gone with another Debbie Downer sketch, they’re all wonderful – but let’s be honest, watching cast members break is the best part of SNL.
- I Drink Your Milkshake – I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP.
- Brittany Murphy Monologue – There are few things I love more in this world than Amy rapping, however, Poehler & Parnell rapping? PERFECTION.
- Extremely Stupid – Gilda is pure joy. It’s that simple. This list could easily have been my top 20 Gilda sketches, she was pure sunshine. This sketch perfectly embodies that. Also, Candice breaks, so that’s an added bonus!
- Nerds Broken Fridge – Watching Bill Murray & Gilda Radner is like nothing else. Add in Aykroyd & Curtin and you’ve got one of my favorite sketches.
- Coneheads Family Feud – Coneheads!
- Sally O`Malley – Molly Shannon is a gift – and so are Sudeikis & Armisen. (I did a Sally O’Malley impression constantly as a kid – I was obviously really cool)
- Geek Phone Sex – I apologize for Paris Hilton – but it really is funny.
- Colonel Angus Comes Home – Testing those standards lines, Colonel Angus.
- Weekend Update: Joke Off – An actual dream come true for this SNL nerd.
- Love-ahs in the Hot Tub – As I said, watching the cast break is one of the best parts of SNL, and knowing Will was just fucking with Jimmy makes it all the more entertaining.
- Chess Tournament – This one here is a childhood favorite – while the cheerleaders got old after a while, this one still makes me laugh.
- Tammy Wynette – Darling Jan. I will admit, I had originally wanted a Sweeney Sister’s skit, but alas, no video was to be found – but I assure you, Tammy is still a delight.
- Boston Teens: Cumberland Farms – NOMAAAAAAAA! (I’m from Boston, of course this made my list.)
- Not for Ladies Only: Madeline Kahn – Queens Madeline & Gilda, the world is certainly less bright without them.
- Two A-Holes in a Live Nativity Scene – The what? The myrrh.
BONUS! Because seriously, THIS WAS HARD. and I couldn’t get rid of anymore.
- You didn’t think I’d leave out Lawrence Welk, did you?
- This is really important.
- Probably my favorite SNL Short.
- anndddd this isn’t funny, it just makes me cry.
So, this is my list (kind of?) and I’m sure after the SNL 40th Anniversary Special this list would look completely different, but as of this moment, this is what I’ve got.
There it is, our 40 favorites. Obviously, there were MANY that didn’t make our list, but there was only 40 spots. What do you think? What would you have included?