by: S. Scott Stanikmas – Senior Staff Writer
Charlize Theron likes keeping busy. After news dropping that she’d be reteaming with her Young Adult filmmakers Jason Reitman and Diablo Cody, the actress was also said to be signed up for the next installment in the highly popular and wildly successful Fast And Furious franchise.
The actress will join Fast 8 as the main bad guy that the team somehow gets into odds with and then has to take down according to Deadline.
Director F Gay Gray will helm this sequel of the franchise that started as a thinly veiled Point Break remake but with fast cars instead of surfing. You might recall that Gray and Theron have teamed up previously, in 2003’s remake of The Italian Job.
Theron is coming off a huge movie-stealing performance as Imperator Furiosa in last year’s critical darling Mad Max: Fury Road. Her role in that film led to fans clamoring for a Furiosa spin-off film, which director George Miller said was in the works. Nothing has materialized as of yet and word is that those film projects have stalled, leading Theron to move on to other films.
Universal Pictures is moving forward with production next month to get the film in theaters for the projected release date of April 14, 2017.